The Australian Government has announced that skills assessments are no longer required for subclass 485 visa applications lodged until 30 June 2023. Significant modifications will be made to the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa Graduate Work stream, as announced on 25 November 2021 and implemented on 1 July 2022. 


Additionally, the duration of the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa Graduate Work stream has been temporarily extended from 18 to 24 months. The modification will simplify the application processes while increasing the likelihood that applicants will be granted Australia Permanent Residency.


These changes are excellent news for everyone who wants to apply for this type of visa and prospective visa applicants, as they will streamline the visa application process and make the process simpler and quicker. In addition, it is essential to note that you will still need to meet all other eligibility criteria.


Continue reading to learn more.





The Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485) Visa 


A work visa allows skilled workers to live and work in Australia temporarily. The permit is valid for 2 to 5 years and allows the holder to work in any occupation and study in Australia. Listed below are the two different streams for the Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485) Visa:



1. The Graduate Work Stream 


It is for applicants who have graduated from an Australian educational institution with a skills assessment from an Australian skill-assessing authority. It is a temporary visa that allows graduates of Australian universities and private colleges to live and work in Australia for 18-24 months, where you can also bring your family. Candidates who wish to apply for this visa must have held a student visa in the last six months.


From 1 December 2021 to 30 June 2023, various modifications will be made to the Temporary Graduate (subclass 485) visa holders, including the following:


    • The Department of Home Affairs notified eligible visa holders of the extension of their visas on 18 February 2022
    • Those who currently hold, or had previously held, a Temporary Graduate visa that expired on or after 1 February 2020 and was outside Australia at any time between 1 February 2020 and 15 December 2021 and have been unable to travel to Australia as a result of the COVID-19 international border restriction will be able to apply for a replacement visa starting on 1 July 2022.
    • As a  temporary measure, there is no longer a need for skills assessment or the nomination of a Medium and Long-Term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL) occupation to be eligible.




2. The Post-Study Work Stream 



This allows eligible graduates of Australian education institutions to live and work in Australia for 2 to 5 years after they have completed their degree. They can also bring their family. To be eligible for this visa, graduates must have completed a higher education degree (Bachelor, Graduate Diploma, Master or PhD). The applicants should also meet the English language requirements.



Nested Package Programmes


Nested Package Programme or NPP is a type of course that allows eligible graduates of Australian education institutions to get an eligible qualification to study within Australia. It is designed to offer opportunities for international students to study in Australia on a student visa within a limited period to meet the Australian Study Requirements.


NPP courses are designed to give students a foundation in the skills needed to progress to more advanced levels of study. For example, when the courses are divided into four modules, each builds on the skills learned in the previous module in a shorter time than it would take to complete the same qualification overseas.



Course Requirements


While a skills assessment may be waived, there are still several course requirements that should be taken into consideration. For instance, a Bachelor’s degree, Master’s degree, Doctoral degree, Diploma, Advanced Diploma, or trade qualification must be met to apply for the Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485) Visa. The course must also be registered under the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) and entirely taught in English. With those requirements and the right documents in your application, you can be eligible for the Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485) Visa.







Documents Required on Application


When applying for the Temporary Graduate (Subclass 485) visa, several documents are needed. For example, you will need to have your passport or travel document ready when you apply. Other required documents include English test results, an Australian police clearance, proof of qualification and study, and health insurance. It is crucial to ensure you have all the required documents before beginning your application. If you miss any necessary papers, your application may be delayed or rejected.



Other Tips for Application


It’s best to make sure that you are eligible for the visa. To do this, you must have completed an eligible course of study in Australia. You will also need to have met the requirements listed above. Once you have gathered the required documents, you can begin your application. Remember that you must apply after your course completion date and during your eligibility’s validity. You should also select the relevant stream for your situation.

Read through the instructions carefully and provide all the required information. If you have questions, contact us to help with your application.








The Australian Department of Home Affairs (DHA) has announced that skills assessment is no longer required for applications for subclass 485 visas until 30 June 2023, effective on 1 July 2022. This is ideal for applicants previously required to undertake a skills assessment. The shift will notably make the visa application process simpler and faster. However, it is essential to note that applicants will still need to meet all other eligibility criteria for the visa, including having the required level of English proficiency.

Are you interested in studying, working and living in Australia? Get started today and find out how to get your student visa for Australia! Study Bird is an international student support agency you can rely on. We will provide the necessary information and help you along the way. Contact us now for more details.