Working in Australia- whether you are coming on a Working Holiday Visa or to study, one thing is for sure; you will have to find a job quickly in Australia! Since we have already had to go through this process, we give you the 5 tips to find a job in Australia.
The cost of living in kangaroo land can quickly become really expensive without any weekly income! And, it’s always best to save money for your road trips!
1 – IMPROVE YOUR ENGLISH
Obvious, but important! All industries require a minimum level of English. And yes, even in the hospitality industry you need to be able to take orders in English and answer clients’ questions. A minimum level of English is very often required in most job offers.
Some tips to help you:
- NETFLIX: That’s not a big secret but you still have to do it. Switch all your TV shows into English!
- Watch Australian TV! It will help you get use to the Australian accent. If you don’t have a TV, you can always watch online! (Especially on Foxtel Go)
- 3rd option, and we believe the best option to improve your English quickly: take English courses! There’s no miracle, classes will help you improve your English quickly in a safe environment where no one is judging you. You’ll see the improvement even after 2 weeks (yes, yes!).
2 – SEARCH ENGINE
There are plenty of search engines to find and apply to job offers. Those that work best in Australia:
- GUMTREE: your local market place – you can find everything and anything especially job offers.
- SEEK: one of the biggest websites, specialised in job search in Australia. You can search and filter by cities or sectors.
- JORA, INDEED or CAREER ONE: Like SEEK, they are really easy to use. You will be able to find and apply to the latest job offers in your area of expertise in just a few clicks.
- AIR TASKER: If you’re an expert in a specific field (plumbing, gardening, moving, translation and so on) and are looking for casual jobs then this website is made for you. Have a look at the jobs and apply to those you are interested in.
3 – FACEBOOK GROUPS
Facebook groups are really useful in Australia! If you are not already a member of one of these groups, do not hesitate to join few of them. Write a post to indicate that you are looking for a job and in which field!
4 – SMART DOOR TO DOOR
Easy, you just have to directly show up to all restaurants, agencies and so on where you have already applied to online. Go there with your CV to show your interest and to talk about your experience. Little advice: Go outside of peak hours!
Try not to look for jobs the way everyone else is doing it! Your competition is also looking for a job in the city centre or in the most touristic places. Don’t do the same, be smarter and go to the other suburbs (For example in Sydney: Parramatta, Sydney Olympic Park, North Sydney and so on!).
5 – RECRUITMENT AGENCIES
You can find recruitment agencies for all types of categories in Australia such as event or construction. These agencies will offer assignments and jobs in your area of choice. It’s up to you to get information about them to contact and join them.
As usual, we give you the useful contacts.
Farms and construction:
Recruitment (temp) agencies in Sydney:
Tips: Beware of construction agencies that offer jobs at 20$/ hour with an ABN. This is below market average!
It’s up to you now and don’t hesitate to ask us your questions!
The StudyBird Team!