Whether you’re coming to Australia on a Working Holiday Visa or to study, one thing is certain, you’ll have to find work quickly as soon as you arrive. The cost of living in Australia can quickly get you very expensive without a return of money weekly! And it’s always better to keep your savings for your roadtrip! 😉
And if Australia is often seen as an Eldorado, it’s always easy to find work quickly when you arrive.
As we have already been there, we help you! We give you the 5 tips we would have liked to have when we arrived, to make sure you find work quickly and easily when you arrive in Australia!
1- IMPROVES YOUR LEVEL OF ENGLISH
Classic but it’s important! All sectors require a minimum of English. And yes, even in catering you have to be able to take orders in English and respond to customers. A minimum level of English is often required in most ads.
Some tips to put you at ease:
- NETFLIX: It’s not a secret, but you still have to. Pass all your series in English!
- Watch Australian TV ! It will help you get used to the Australian accent. If you do not have TV, you can also watch online!
- 3rd option and the best in our opinion to progress and be at ease in English as quickly as possible: take ENGLISH COURSES ! No miracle, the courses will make you progress in a healthy environment and without judgment. You will see the difference even after 2 weeks (yes, yes!).
2- SEARCH ENGINES
There are plenty of search engines or search and respond to job ads.
Those who walk best in Australia:
- GUMTREE : the equivalent of the Bon Coin in France, you will find everything, especially JOB ads.
- SEEK: one of the largest job search site in Australia. You can search and filter according to the city, the sector of activity.
- JORA , INDEED or CAREER ONE : same as SEEK and very easy to use, you will be able to find and respond to the latest job ads in your area in a few clicks.
- AIR TASKER : perfect if you have special skills (plumbing, gardening, moving, translation …) and you are looking for specific missions. Look at the available jobs and postulate according to what interests you!
3- FACEBOOK GROUPS
Facebook groups of French, it is super useful in Australia! If you are not yet on it, do not hesitate to join some of them. In Sydney, our favorite band, which works well for jobs, is The French in Sydney (the relaxed version) . On this group, French people like you post to indicate that they are leaving their post and that they need a replacement (hospitality, au pair, construction …)!
Do not hesitate to post to indicate that you are looking for work and in what area!
4 – THE INTELLIGENT DOOR DOOR
It’s all about pointing you straight to the restaurant or the agency or whatever you’re applying for online. Go with your CV to show your interest and talk about your experience. Tip: Go there during off-peak hours!
Also avoid looking for work like everyone else! All your competition is looking for work in the city center and super tourist places.
Do not do the same and go to the suburbs!
There are temporary agencies for all sectors in Australia! Events, construction … These agencies will propose missions and jobs in the field of your choice. It’s up to you to find out and find them, contact them and register.
As usual, we help you and we send you some contacts.
Farms and construction:
- https: //www.advancedgroupservices.com …
Temp agencies in Sydney:
To you to play and do not hesitate to ask us your questions if necessary!
The StudyBird team!